Walk through the Nicosia of yesteryear


Cyprus Mail published an article on January 10, 2010 on the renovated Leventis Municipal Museum in Nicosia“Walk through the Nicosia of yesteryear”.

“There are donkeys tied up on the side of cobbled walkways, woman handing out vegetables in a street market and a dark moustached man involved in some sort of barter. The year is 1850 and I’m smack in the middle of Nicosia. Then enter George Chrysanthou, a computer scientist who designs virtual tours and is now responsible for giving people the rare chance to feel like they’ve stepped foot in some sort of time machine that actually does a rather brilliant job.

As I walk down the old streets I can even turn to look and see if I’ve missed anything behind me and peek round all sorts of nooks and crannies that show me how very different the capital used to be. I soon get to stop off for a little breather in the harmam and I’m also taken for tea in the house of the Great Dragoman of Cyprus, Komesios Hadjigeorgakis. …….” Follow this link to read the entire article

I wish I had a trip scheduled to Cyprus in the near future. The museum renovation sounds very exciting. I searched for a website for the Leventis Municipal Museum but was unable to find one. If anyone knows of a url address please advise by posting a comment to this blog entry. Thanks.

Georgia Keilman nee Stryker (Stratigakos)

http://HellenicGenealogyGeek.com

Comments