Follow-up to "Getting my family letters translated from Greek to English"



I am delinquint in writing this followup to my January 3, 2014 posting titled "Getting my family letters translated from Greek to English".  

-----
ORIGINAL POST:
Very excited!  I am taking Gregory Kontos up on his offer to do translations.  I have about 10 letters that I've been holding on to - I am the family pack rat after all.  These letters are from the 1950s and 1960s, sent to my grandparents and mother from Greece.  

I don't think I will get any big surprises, but you never know.  Mostly I am looking forward to some additional names and a feel for what was going on in their lives at the time.

-----

I was sooooo surprised.  I thought we just had some typical "how are you" letters.  Instead, I had a series of letters, from various relatives, describing a very sad situation with one of my grandfather's nieces.  I was able to read, in their own words, about some of their heartbreak back in Greece.  These were relatives I didn't even know I had discussing property disputes, details of their lives, and misconceptions of life in the United States.  I was able to learn the names of some cousins, uncles, and the names of my great-grandfather's brothers.  

If you are lucky enough to have letters or postcards laying around that you haven't had translated, I would definitely recommend it.  Gregory Kontos did a fabulous job.  Thanks again Gregory!



Comments